Friday, September 7, 2007

the two minute update

I know I've been terrible on this thing of late, so I thought I'd throw down a couple of details as I stop in Nice here for a few minutes to rest my legs and gather supplies.

I'm heading North from here, through the alps to meet up with fellow East Van bike missionary Tim Wyatt (check the link bar to the right for his blog).

Spent a lovely week in Marseille exploring the city by bike (I'll flat out admit respect for any regular biker in Marseille; by far the least bike friendly and traffic mad city I've seen yet). Its large, throbbing, dirty and alive - Marseille that is. Whoever it was that described it to me as the Vancouver of France has a very dfferent picture of Van than I do. I would say that it is the L.A. of France - whether this country has a Vancouver, I've yet to find out.

Spent some time with two quite awesome and amazing couchsurfing hosts who took me out with their friends, fed me well, and made me feel like a long lost friend.

Got food poisoning from a Snack stand, and am only now recovering my appetite. 200 KM in 2.2 days on a mostly empty stomach: grueling.

Its sunny and beautiful on the Cote D'Azure - a pitty its marred, like virtually any european coastlie I've seen, by an abundance of busy highways and overfilled, over priced, pleasure boat and tourist infested beach towns. I'm looking forward to the balkan coast in the hopes that there will be less people and more natural beauty. Go go Canadian nature-snobbism!

Anyhow, gotta hi the road here again as I have 170 or so km between wyatt and me, including some litte montain range they call the alps or somehing, and I'd like to be in Tornio by tomorrow night. Guess I should hit the road!

Love y'all, and I hope to EVENTUALLY recap some of the road between barcelona and here.

PS - special notice to the B:C:Clettes - caught your LA performance on the Project B blogsite... You ladies are looking hot as ever, and MY GOD have you raised the bar with the moves! Massive respect, and congrats on your successful tour!

1 comment:

Marie Marie said...

You and the food poisoning my friend! I deleted the Myspace account in a puff of anger so send me messages at mariehorstead@gmail.com. I am looking forward to your homecoming in October.