Saturday, September 8, 2007

Copout D'azur

Ok, I'm just going to come out and admit it right off the bat.

I copped out.

I took a train.

Reached the Italian border a few hours after writing my last post and after a careful analysys of

1) what time it was (approx 6 pm)
2) the condition of my legs and my right knee (starting to give me some regular pains)
3) a more careful examination of my real (michelin) map, not the google map (lacking in, specifically, altitudes)

I came to the realization that it would take me no less than 48-72 hours to reach Torino.

Tim was already waiting for me there, and has a deadline to be back in Budapest, and to be perfectly honest - while I absolutely loved both france and spain, I've spent far too long mucking about in this corner of europe and now have only seven weeks to blow through some of the sweetest countryside on the continent - Italy, the Balkans, Greece, and then Turkey. I wish I had an extra two months.

No regrets of course, save that I wont get to add conquering every respectable mountain range in France (got the Massif Central and Pyrenees under the belt, but alas, no Alps. GENUINELY disappointed with myself on this one) two my other two accomplishments in that country (riding the vertical length of the country, and riding the entire south coast).

I'll say this for European trains though - fast, and CHEAP! The three and a half hour 160 (?) km ride cost me a piddling nine euros. Crazy business.

So now its just to link up with Wyatt and begin our Eastward plunge.

More details as they arise!

No comments: