Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Phototastic


Wow I'm on the internet a lot these days.

After stopping in Schkoder, the Albanian border city to change money, eat lunch, do the internet, and buy a map (all of which, amazingly, took a fraction of the time they did in Montenegro - says a lot about which is the 'civilized country'), I hit the road again. I had planned to do another 40 k and find somewhere to crash, maybe pay for a cheap hotel for the first time since Amsterdam. Instead I blew the whole distance to Tirane, the Albanian capital, in a shocking 3.5 hours. Over 100 Km. I did, according to my maps, 137 km today - must have something to do with all that mountain riding I've been doing lately! About 20 minutes before hitting the city I stopped for a cola (caffine needed) and met two British cats who are riding london to Hong Kong. And I thought I was hardcore. We made plans to meet up tomorrow and will probably ride some of Albania together. The road from the border here, defying expectations was smooth - and, probably the reason for my incredible speed, completely flat. Inexplicably, everyone here drives Mercedes' ... and not just beat up old deisel ones either, but new looking models. They love to honk, and even more, love to pass one another. I was actually run off the road at one point by some Italian jerk driving a porshe cayanne oncomming. Other than that though, things seem good. The people are very friendly and I get a lot of honks, cheers, whistles, and waves of support - about 800% more than in any other country so far.

Anyway, while I'm waiting to get in touch with my couchsurfing host for the evening (a canadian in albania! who's bike toured the west coast! rad!) I'm finally uploading some photos of the leg from Sarajevo to Albania. Find them HERE.

And in case you are curious, here is my route from Italy to Albania:
Italia:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1361991
Slovenia:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1361995
Croatia:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1362002
Bosnia:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1362010
Montenegro:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1362017
Albania:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1362024

(holding somewhere around 4678km total now)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dearest brother...

Have you forgotten your lovely sis? You still have my new mailing address right?? I heard talk of cool postcards- or maybe the bike stationary I gaves ya- unless it got stolen... :)

Love Sis
and when exactly will you be home, so I can greet my triumphant bro at the airport or somethin

simon said...

hey chris, I mailed you a postcard from sarajevo - that was about 5 days ago now? should show up soonsoon

Anonymous said...

How exciting!!! I bought you a little home-coming gift at the anarchist bookstore in Victoria... you will have to wait and see what it is :)

So, what is that homecoming date? ;)

Anonymous said...

well I finally made my way over to catch up to your pedaling adventures and I am impressed, though not suprized. No not suprized at all not by your tough as nails concrete chewing self. I like the adriatic part of your leg. while you are sweating up those mountains I think I'll go back to my idle ways drinking saki and eating sweets. I see you in a couple of months.

Chris the Biking Penguin said...

I believe a lot of people would like to greet the return of the voyager.

Tom&Mik said...

Wow, flying thru Albania where they used to hail the 3 great founders of communism, Marx, Lenin, and Enver Hoxha (I kid you not!) Enver who??? Simo, what a blast - 100 K in 3 hours, ripping blind thru long lightless tunnels, gorgeous country side, friendly natives, and mind-blower of all - getting run off the road by an Italian playboy and still managing to identify make & model of the porsche. What presence of mind! There's gotta be a movie here.
Lovin' every minute of it, and praying for your safe return.
Yours truly,
Vicar E. Yowsly
PS - still want us to raid the vicarage orphans' fund for that Mad Money?
PPS - where 2 next?