Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The rubber's on the road

I'm Here! An excited hour at the airport reassembling my bike, and the on the open road...

Coming in from the airport, I have my first experience with Dutch bicycle superiority.

Naively, I'd expected the rules of the road to be the same as here - I saddle up my bike (heavy, by the way... already thinking about what I can abandon) and ride out onto the highway. The first car that honks at me doesnt take me by surprise. I'm used to it at home. I'm a road warrior, unflappable. But the next car does. And the next, and the next. What's the deal? aren't these people supposed to be enlightened or something?

Yup. So enlightened infact, that they have entirely seperate roads for bikes, which MUST be used when available. The highway drivers were busy letting me know that I am a freaking idiot. Lesson learned.

Out riding after I find a hostel do ditch my bags (rediculously overpriced - I'm still scrambling to get my hands on some free accomodation) I'm amazed.

Bikes everywhere, EVERYWHERE. Most people seem to have more beat up versions of those Jorg and Oliff 'city bikes' they're always trying to sell to Yaletowners, though I have seen one or two roadbikes, and talked to a kid with a singlespeed who told me that there are a few courriers riding fixed gears (I've yet to see them). Girls sit on the back of their boyfriends'racks looking casual, or text messaging their friends. No one is wearing helmets. Its an entirely different universe.

Today I'm going to try and get a handle on the squat movement and try and actually meet some Dutch people. The downtown core is swarming with tourists and the red light district and hash bars really seem worth about 5 minutes inspection and not much more. I'll keep y'all posted.

No comments: