Monday, June 11, 2007

French Lessons

Frame = Cadre
Pedals = pedailles
wheel = roue
spoke = rayon
saddle = siege
brakes = freins

I could go on for hours.

I went to a dozen bike shops today looking for a new frame... my other french lesson was that, for the french at least, monday is the new sunday. or sunday #2. or something. anyway, maybe only half of them were open. I only found one used touring frame, and it came only as a whole bike - the guy wanted 300 euros for it, which to me is a bit steep. there is also a store that specializes in touring gear here (new only) and they were also closed - but the guy at the shop nextdoor, which is connected in some capacity, seemed quite symqthetic and seemed to convey the idea that they might cut a deal on something for me because helping touring bikers was something they were into. fingers crossed. Otherwise its a regular road bike, and I have some concerns whether one can handle the extra stress of weight all day over 4000 km.

Today I also bought some new tools and a sleeping bag. I bought the bag at an outdoor store here that was remarkably cheaper (though apparently of comperable quality) to MEC. I might go back and exchange the sleeping bag (50 euros) for an even lighter one which packs up smaller than any bag Ive ever seen, but is only good down to 10° - its only 40 euros. They also have tiny 1 man 1.5kg tents and 2 man 2kg tents for 89/95 euros, but I'm still considering the no-tent tarp only option.

No comments: